Thursday, May 10, 2012

No-Cook Fresh Strawberry Sorbet

How is it even within the realm of possibility that it has been nearly two years since my last adventure with Ice Cream Alchemy? Honestly, I am a disgrace to not only myself, but to all of the great ice cream historians of the world. I will go down in history as the greatest disappointment of...ah, well, I doubt you've all really missed me THAT much. In my defense (I am allowed a defense, right?) it has been an awfully uninspiring year up until this point. I recently moved from an apartment where I not only felt like a caged goat in a trolls gullet, gnawing at the gates that merely represented my humanity, but also did not have an adequate kitchen in which to perform my experiments. Add onto that my 50 day engagement and subsequent wedding last fall and now marriage which, while it obviously did not occupy much of my time in terms of planning and execution, did take up a large chunk of my brain and has required much mental recovery.

However, now that married life has become more of a natural phenomenon and we have moved into a lush new apartment with kitchen space large enough to appease the churning Gods of yore, I have just been itching to get back into ice cream mode. Since I have recently discovered my own lactose intolerance, it is time for a wonderful new journey back into the land of dairy-free ice cream. My previous experiments have left me feeling a bit disappointed, but with this new fire in my soul (and everlasting resentment of purchasing ice cream elsewhere) it is time to get into research mode and create some lovely and delectable treats. With that I bring you my first sorbet of the season! My maiden voyage as a newly evolved mad scientist! I present you with a sorbet with such freshness, it will leave you saying, "oooh!"

My personal problem with cooked strawberries is that they always taste like jam. Don't get me wrong, jam is delicious, but there is a time and a place for preserves. That time is during breakfast, and that place is on my toast. Or? In a donut. However, I do not like my ice cream or sorbet tasting like jam unless I am intentionally putting jam onto or into it. How do you make strawberry sorbet without cooking the berries you ask? Maceration. 

No-Cook Fresh Strawberry Sorbet
2 pints fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar 
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon vodka (optional) for freezing**



Thoroughly wash your strawberries, remove the tops, and cut into medium sized chunks. In a bowl, combine cut strawberries and sugar, and water. Cover bowl, and place in refrigerator overnight. The following morning, put macerated strawberry mixture into the blender and puree until smooth. Add vodka if desired. Churn for 15-20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. transfer to freezer-ready container and allow to freeze overnight. 

**I know it has been awhile, so I want to add this in as a reminder. Adding vodka or any other liquor to your ice cream does not impact the flavor, nor will it intoxicate or poison your children. The purpose of adding liquor to your ice cream is to assist in preventing the formation of ice crystals. If you do not feel comfortable adding liquor to your sorbet, then leave it out. It is not crucial, just a mere crutch I lean on to keep my wrists from breaking when I attempt to scoop my ice cream.

1 comment: