Friday, July 2, 2010

Coconut "Key" Lime

I'm pretty sure that this is my first Alchemy post I have made since getting my new macbook! Woohoo! No more angry posts because my stupid laptop died, or Blogger didn't autosave because my compy is so old that it can't run the most efficient internet. It's time to celebrate! Double celebrate in fact because it's 4th of July weekend! And no one says "independence" quite like Will Smith!



Or, for that matter, Key Lime Pie! I decided to attempt making this delicious summer-time dessert into a dairy-free ice cream. I approached it with two concepts in mind:
1) a scoopable ice cream
2) a frozen "torte" of sorts
So I did both. The scoopable ice cream was okay. I wish the graham cracker would have been chunkier, but instead it kind of speckled the ice cream. The torte, however, was amazing. I loved the consistency and I felt that it was a very good representation of the real deal.

Now onto the composition. I originally wondered how well coconut milk would do for the milk base...and then I remembered...

Of COURSE they go together! I also wished there were a whipped cream substitute (without being whipped soy cream) which is why I came up with the coconut glaze. I feel like the original base was just barely too icy, so I revised the recipe and cut out some of the water. The recipe below is the altered version, so you should not need to make any changes.

Coconut "Key" Lime
1c. canned coconut milk
1 1/2c. water
2/3c. key lime juice (fresh is best, but bottled with do)
1c. sugar
1 drop green food color (optional)

graham cracker crust mix (click for recipe)

Combine everything except the crust mix. Churn in ice cream maker until desired consistency.

For scoopable ice cream: Turn off machine, and fold in crust mix. Transfer to freezer-safe container and freeze until hard.

For torte: Line a small cake pan with parchment paper. While base is churning, press the crust into the bottom of the cake pan. Make sure to cover it completely. Once ice cream is finished churning, spread evenly into the pan. Cover with plastic and freeze overnight. Before serving, remove plastic and carefully run a knife around the edge between the ice cream and the pan. Flip onto a piece of plastic and give the bottom one nice "knock" (firm...but pound sounded too harsh). This should release the ice cream from the pan. Carefully peel the parchment from the crust. Cut into pieces and serve

For Coconut Icing: Take 1c. of canned coconut milk and mix with 1c. confectioner's sugar. Whisk until smooth. Icing should be thick. Drizzle over ice cream or slice of torte before serving. Garnish with toasted coconut or lime supremes if desired.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried coconut ice cream but this should be good. By the way, as a serious food blogger, you might find it interesting to join this year's International Food Bloggers Conference. It will be held in Seattle on August 27 til 29. They've got an amazing line up of speakers and it will be great to meet other food bloggers as well from all over the world. You can find more information here.

    keep on blogging, i like your posts.makes me crave for a lot of ice cream, haha! :-) Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I have thought about going, but I live in Maine so it's a bit of a haul for a non-professional such as myself. I'm driving cross-country next fall though, so maybe I can shoot for 2011 ;)

    Take care and eat ice cream! :D

    ReplyDelete